Happy New Year! Thanks from our friends at the Pollinator Partnership for putting together this actionable list of resolutions. Pick a couple of resolutions to support your favorite pollinators in 2020.
As we start the New Year, we are taking the time to think about everything we are grateful for. At the top of our list are pollinators - the bees, butterflies, flies, wasps, moths, beetles, bats, birds and other creatures that play a crucial role in pollinating majority of the flowering plants on Earth and many of the crops we rely on for food. And of course, with the New Year comes resolutions! If you are wondering how you can help pollinators in 2020, we've got the perfect list of resolutions for you!
10 New Year's Resolutions for Pollinators:
1) I will plant native flowers, grasses, shrubs and trees in my garden.
2) I will promote the use of native plants to other gardeners in my area, and collect native seed from my garden to share with neighbors.
3) I will leave leaf litter, stems, twigs and logs in my garden for nesting bees and for butterflies to lay their eggs and overwinter.
4) I will provide food for pollinators all year by having spring, summer, and fall blooming plants in my garden and yard.
5) I will make environmentally-friendly decisions to reduce my carbon footprint in order to help improve pollinator health and habitat quality.
6) I will write to local, state or federal authorities to express my support for pollinator-friendly practices and initiatives.
7) I will support pollinator-friendly farmers by buying local organic or low-spray produce.
8) I will support my local beekeepers by buying local bee products like raw honey.
9) I will volunteer with a group of friends to plant a pollinator garden in my community, and take part in local citizen science initiatives.
10) I will continue supporting pollinator conservation organizations through my donations.